Sunday, November 23, 2014

Defeated Chris Algieri on Pacquiao: ‘He’s very good at being Manny Pacquiao’


WBO light welterweight champion Chris Algieri was just handed his first career loss courtesy of Manny Pacquiao and he said that, more than the power, it’s the distinct fighting style of the Filipino boxing icon that gave him trouble in the fight.

“It’s not so much the punching power, to tell you the truth. It’s how he mixes the punches up. Manny is the best in the world at fighting like Manny Pacquiao,” Algieri said after the loss. “He has very, very distinct and unique style that he has perfected for what works specifically for his body type and his style and what works for him.”


“He’s very good at being Manny Pacquiao and Manny Pacquiao is a hell of a fighter.”

Algieri was knocked down on six different occasions, although some of them were disputed as he seemed to slip as he moved away from the eight-division world champion.

There was little question on several of those, though, especially in the ninth round, where Pacquiao caught him with a big left.

“What veterans are great at doing is finding holes in the defense. He caught me with a great shot as we were trading left hooks. That was really the only shot that hurt me, that put me flat on my back.”

He was knocked down again a few second later, though, as Pacquiao unleashed another series of blows at the ropes.

“I had my legs pretty good when I got up. I knew he was going to bring a serious onslaught and probably slow down in the next round, which he did.”

source: interaksyon.com