Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Six easy makeup tips for pregnant and busy moms


I have approximately an hour and a half to write this article. I have just put my three-month-old daughter down for a nap and her next feeding is in less than two hours. Half of my lunch is sitting on the dining table, and maybe I’ll get to that after this story. I still have a couple of other household and work things to juggle afterwards, a dinner party, then my last feeding for the baby and putting her down for the night. Such is the life I have been thrust into since giving birth to my first child a few months ago. I realize that I’ve humbly joined the ranks of many time-conscious women who are really superheroes-in-disguise.

Gone are the days when I could plan out and think about my look for a particular day, from my clothes, to my accessories, to my shoes, to my hairstyle and makeup. Even in the middle of busy weeks closing a magazine or covering Fashion Week, I would have energy to put thought into most of my appearance and cheat the rest. These days, my criteria is basic: whatever works. I might have a few extra minutes to think about my look—if my baby decides to feed, burp, and take a nap efficiently. But more often than not, I probably won’t have the energy. Not to mention the other more important concerns I can use my brain cells for during those pockets of extra time.

If your daily life sounds similar to mine—or makes mine look like it’s a walk in the park—here are six realistic beauty tips to keep you looking polished and presentable. Because as much as we’d love to look as put-together as mom and fashion icon Victoria Beckham 24/7, we know not everyone has daily access to professional help like she does.




1. Prioritize good skincare.
We don’t always have time to do the full shebang of primer-foundation-concealer-loose powder to correct our skin, and we all know the cornerstone of beauty is pristine skin. Make sure to find a regimen that works for you, and be faithful in applying it every day and every night. That way you can easily get away with very minimal makeup, which will save you lots of time.

2. Expectant moms, learn how to contour and highlight.
Pregnant women will attest that even if they haven’t gained weight on their faces, they still think they have because they feel bloated. Makeup artist for Shu Uemura and mom Cathy Cantada-Dizon says she went through this, which led her to heavily contour her own cheeks. Get yourself a good contour kit or matte bronzer that’s two shades darker than your skintone. Contouring minimizes parts of our face and can create depth. So if you’re feeling extra chubby, try brushing bronzer from the middle of your ear down towards the corners of your mouth, but only until halfway of your cheeks. You can also brush bronzer on your temples, jawline, and create a noseline (from the inner tips of your eyebrows down to the inner portion of your nostrils), when you feel your nose starts looking like a tomato.

Complement contouring with a bit of highlighted cheekbones to really give your     face      more depth and ditch that feeling (or actuality) of a wider face.

3. Cut back on products, too.
“During the course of pregnancy our body temperature changes. Pregnant women feel so hot and sweaty most of the time, so if you’re used to wearing layers of makeup, lessen application so as not to feel irritated,” advises MAC Cosmetics makeup artist and mom of three, Pong Niu. If you can get away with just concealer and pressed powder, do so and save yourself the trouble of that melting feeling under makeup layers. Or switch to a light BB or CC cream in the meantime.

4. Don’t underestimate the power of mascara.
If you literally only have a minute or less, try curling your eyelashes and loading up on black mascara. This will wake up your eyes and make you look like you’re ready to face the day, even if you have yet to get caffeine in your body! If it’s all you have time for, curled eyelashes amplified with mascara already does a lot for your look.

5. Decide on your instantly polished makeup item.
It could be a bold lip, serious eyeliner, or flushed cheeks, this is that one item that makes you look presentable with very little effort. Cantada-Dizon says “[Mine] will always will be eyeliner and mascara. Lots of it. I look tired and haggard without it. Somehow it does brighten up my face and I feel more confident with eyeliner on since my eyes are very chinita.” It all depends on your facial features and your style. When you are pressed for time, this is your go-to look which you won’t have to think about.

Fuchsia, coral, or red lipstick is another easy item you can slick on to instantly look presentable. This is Niu’s pesonal makeup uniform. She recommends MAC lipsticks in Ablaze, Heroine, Silly and Embrace Me. “Nice skin and an outstanding lip color will do the magic,” she says.

6. Get a good concealer and champagne eyeliner.
By lining the inner rims or waterline of your lower lids, it extends the white parts of your eyes and makes you look more awake and alert. Couple that with a creamy, blendable concealer set with loose powder for your eyebags and you’ll hardly have traces of waking up during wee hours of the morning on your face.

Cantada-Dizon’s advices women is to “first know your face.” Know what to hide and what to play up in order to create your fail safe makeup look. And Niu emphasizes, “Do not neglect yourself. It doesn’t mean that if you have a baby, you have the license not to look fabulous anymore! Look for a home-service mani-pedi, spa, etc. Everything now is convenient and just a call away.”

source: interaksyon.com