Saturday, April 14, 2012

Jasmine Curtis Smith turns 18, donates to charity in lieu of debutante's ball


MANILA, Philippines - TV5 princess Jasmine Curtis Smith, everybody’s favorite kid sister, is officially an adult after turning 18 on April 6, Good Friday.

And she proved it by eschewing a lavish debutante’s ball and donating to charity instead.

“I just want to be practical. I don’t want to spend so much money on a big party for just one night,” Jasmine said during her blowout for her media friends Thursday night at Red Box Karaoke in Trinoma.

“I want to spend the money on something useful na lang,” she added. “I would rather spend a lot on doing charity work. Makakatulong pa ako sa maraming tao at magiging meaningful pa ang birthday ko.”

The karaoke party came three days after a surprise birthday bash organized by her dad, James Curtis Smith, and her manager, Betchay Vidanes.

She had known about the surprise party, held at Annabel’s Restaurant, but was clueless about the guest list.

“I only knew that my family would be there. Hindi ko alam kung sinu-sino pa,” she said.

She was happy to see her childhood chums, big sis Anne’s friends, and her own colleagues from the TV5 soap “Nandito Ako.”

“That’s why I really cried because I was so overwhelmed. It was like the happiest birthday that I had,” she said.

For Jasmine, those parties were more than enough. Instead of throwing a debutante’s party, she donated an undisclosed sum to Cribs, an orphanage for abandoned babies that she and Anne consider close to their hearts.

They had a baby sister named Clare who died at four years old in 2007.“If she were still alive, she would have been five years old now,” Jasmine said. “Kaya ang mga babies, gustung-gusto namin kasi we miss our baby sister. Parang way na namin to help other babies survive by our donations.”

She shared her two birthday wishes. First is to follow in her sister’s footsteps even though she knows she has big shoes to fill.

“I want more success when it comes to work. Just like Ate, ang dami na niyang achievements. I only wish that I could at least reach what she already has done,” she said.

Second is to get her high school diploma.

“Of course, I want to finish my high school. I’m already on my last year and I want to maintain my good grades and be able to finish na walang problema.”

After “Nandito Ako” ended last month, it would take Jasmine a while to start a new drama series for TV5. Meanwhile, she will be a featured guest on “Pidol’s Wonderland” for the whole month of May.

“I want to thank TV5 for being so patient with me. They know kasi that I prioritize my studies.

After she graduates from high school, Jasmine intends to be a full-time Manila resident.

“I do want to have a regular series, but it would be hard for me while I’m trying to finish high school in Australia. Pero kapag tapos na lahat, magiging easy na for me and for TV5,” she concluded.

source: interaksyon.com