Thursday, July 11, 2013

Fil-Aussie teen Brooke Chantelle lights up Cinemalaya horror thriller ‘Diplomat Hotel’


Like Anne Curtis and sister Jasmine Curtis-Smith, Brooke Chantelle was also born and raised in Australia. The daughter of a Filipino father and Australian mother, the 13-year-old whose face reminded us of retired actress Nanette Medved is one of the new faces to watch in this year’s Cinemalaya film festival.

Along with goth rocker Sarah Gaugler, Brooke will be introduced in Christopher Ad Castillo’s “The Diplomat Hotel” where she plays the daughter of Art Acuña’s character, one of the reporters who enters its haunted ruins.

Trained in dance particularly ballet, jazz and tap dancing since the age of 3, Brooke said her dance background was very helpful in her introduction to film.

“I am used to being on a stage more than being behind the camera. Like film, dance is also very expressive so I guess the transition wasn’t that hard,” Brooke told InterAksyon in a recent interview.

Direk Chris agreed and added, “When I was casting the role, I wanted to get someone new and fresh. Someone showed me this YouTube video of hip hop dancers and this one girl stood out for me. She had the look and charisma and she was very comfortable in her dance moves. And when you’re comfortable in your art form, acting is pretty much the same thing.”

Asked if she is aware about the real Diplomat Hotel’s haunted reputation, Brooke said she actually has not heard about the place prior to being cast in the film.

“I visited some family members in Baguio about seven years ago but had not known of The Diplomat Hotel. I have grown up with stories from my dad about some of the haunted places in the Philippines. When I first entered The Diplomat Hotel during our shoot, it did have a very eerie presence,” she recalled.

“Reading the script is scary. I can only imagine how it will be to watch it. There were definitely some strange things happening during our shoot. However, being a Christian I believed that God would protect me from any evil spirits there.”

Outside of the strange, eerie occurrences in the hotel, Brooke said she had a great time playing the character that is so close to her own personality.
“I could relate to the character as she is a schoolgirl like myself who also has a close bond with her father in the film,” she revealed.

Being in the company of what she considers “a great cast” also added to her wonderful experience with the film.

“I am very fortunate to have been able to learn from some of the best in the business with the cast of ‘The Diplomat Hotel’,” she enthused. “Art Acuna, Mon Confiado, Abe Pagtama, Sarah Gaugler, and of course Ms Gretchen Barretto were all very willing to share their experiences and passion for acting with me. It was surreal to watch them on set. Everyone was so supportive in helping me in my role.”

And then, there’s Direk Chris himself, who she said was very supportive from the word go.

“Direk Chris is amazing! From the very first time we spoke he made me feel comfortable about my role. I had confidence that he would do everything to bring out the best in the actors and in me. I admired him for the hours and hours he put into the film. He ensured that I felt welcome to the cast and created opportunities for me to meet many talented and wonderful people,” she said.

Brooke, who is currently back in Australia, hopes to return to the country in time for the Cinemalaya premiere of “The Diplomat Hotel” this month. She revealed that discussions for future projects have already begun. So, yes, we will be seeing more of Brooke Chantelle in the months to come.

“I am studying hard to improve my Tagalog. I will forever be grateful to Direk Chris for giving me this opportunity and believing in me. Ever since I was little and watching Filipino TV at home in Australia, I have dreamed of becoming an artist in the Philppines so I guess this project is a good first step for me.”

source: interaksyon.com