Thursday, May 24, 2012

Ace Young and Diana DeGarmo Get Engaged on American Idol Finale


It's an American Idol shocker – but it's not what you think!

Show alumni Diana DeGarmo and Ace Young got engaged on stage at the show's season 11 finale on Wednesday night.

Before announcing the results of the competition between finalists Jessica Sanchez and Phillip Phillips, Ryan Seacrest acknowledged former contestants, including the couple whom PEOPLE first reported moved in together in January.

Seacrest called them both to the stage and said, "dim the lights," like he does at every results show. As the elimination night music played, Young said, "This has always been home to us and I felt that this would be the perfect place to ask a simple question."

Then he got down on one knee and continued: "We have conquered Broadway together. We have created our new music together. We have an amazing group of people around us. And with the help of David Webb jewelry I have a way to make this last forever. Are you ready?

"I love you to death. You're my best friend. I want to make this last forever and I will do anything in my power to have the most ... amazing life together if you will have me. Diana Nicole DeGarmo, will you marry me?"

A tearful DeGarmo nodded and said yes.

"I'm so speechless right now," she said with a new ring on her finger. "Wow, babe, you picked a good one! My makeup's running."

And just like that the show continued.

source: people.com